Welcome to my journey to make work optional. This blog, like many others before it, exists for the following two reasons:
- To document the ups and downs towards financial freedom – freedom to live where we want, do what we want, and more importantly: change that at a whim!
- To inspire others, hopefully other immigrants like myself, to break away from the expected path and go on their own journey
I’m in my early forties and a first-generation immigrant. I have a lovely wife i.e. the rock in our household, and two school-age kids. They center me, and force me to remind myself that there’s more to life than work and obsessing over FU money.
We live in a high cost of living area in Southern California (‘sun tax’, anyone?), but within driving distance to the ocean, the mountains and the desert.
I work in IT (surprise!), but chose the self-employed route more than a decade ago. Single malts, hiking, travel and riding my motorcycle are what keep me going. This is in addition to my son who will wake up earlier than everyone else on every day that is not a school day.
The Discovery of FIRE
As of a few years ago, the plan was just “need to make a million by 40”, like many others. I think when you’re far from that number, it is aspirational and seems ‘out there’. I’m not even sure when I discovered the concept of FIRE (Financial Independence, Retire Early), as it definitely wasn’t like a light bulb had come on. Instead, it was more of a gradual realization over the better course of a year about what FIRE would mean to us.
And I think that idea is still evolving.
The plan, in a nutshell, is simple:
- Save as much as possible, while still trying to accommodate piano lessons, basketball class or vacations in different countries around the world using some travel hacking.
- Pay off our (jumbo) mortgage before achieving financial freedom
- Share my experiences, as I work towards adding a few
passivesemi-passive income streams
- Learn from you, from the mistakes I make, and from the other super-awesome blogs that are already out there
- Help, and give back in any way I can
Thanks for visiting!